Thursday, May 31, 2007

Video clip of Asma - the girl with leukemia from Bangladesh

I got this from Mrinal yesterday. Asma is still in Sylhet and waiting for a referral from her doctors so that she can continue her treatment in Dhaka. It is frustrating things move so slowly in Bangladesh. I have tried several times to contact Dr. Iftekhar by phone but because of bad network I could not get through even once. I am communicating with him through Mrinal by emails as Dr. Iftekhar does not come online.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Latest update on Asma's condition

I got a mail from Mrinal yesterday. He informs me that Asma has been admitted to Sylhet Osmani Hospital again because of a problem she is having as a result of her current medication. This is not serious but Dr. Iftekhar asked us to arrange to move her to Dhaka for better treatment and Mrinal is arranging that with the help of others.

My heartfelt thanks to all of you who have responded to the plight of this child and made donations. I have not met Asma's family but I am sure they would also like to thank you for your kind support.
So far we have collected a total of $440 from a few generous individuals.
I would like to ask all of you to spread the word to your friends by email or in any other means and donate whatever you can and not wait for later.
Mrinal is currently waging a fundraising campaign in Sylhet and he has collected Tk. 30000 so far. Our goal is Tk. 2 Lakhs to meet her expenses in Dhaka and as you can see-- we have not reached that goal yet.
We also want to remain financially prepared in case she needs to be moved to India or another country.
Dr. Iftekhar promised me he will follow up with St. Jude Children's Hospital of Tennesse on their offer to consult for free and offer treatment options.
I will inform you all about this when I have heard back from him.

Greetings and stay safe wherever you are.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Update on Asma's condition and Reply from St. Jude Children's Hospital

I had a brief phone conversation with Dr. Iftekhar today.
He informed me that he checked Asma today and her condition is stable now.
He also told me that if she could be transferred to Dhaka, she could get better treatment.

Meanwhile I also got an email reply from the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital authorities regarding Asma.
Basically, they told me that they must have an ongoing protocol (treatment program) to be able to treat a patient and that they do not have an open protocol at this time.

However, they offered to consult with Asma's treating physician(s) at no charge and offer recommendations and other treatment options.

I have informed Dr. Iftekhar about this and he will get in touch with St. Jude soon.
I will post an update when I hear back from him.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007


Faxed over Asma's papers two days ago to St.Judes Children's Hospital in Memphis, Tennesse for consideration in a clinical trial program.